Blaugust Winner

Blaugust Winner
Blaugust Winner 2014

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Job Interview Tomorrow - And Why I'll Still Be A Dragon

The 20th of Blaugust!

Tomorrow morning at 8am my time, I have a job interview with Verizon for a spot in their call center here in Murfreesboro, TN.  Remember when you needed to go to a physical place of business to pick up an application?  It was always best to hand that application to someone who would be doing the hiring.

Well times sure have changed.  My last job with Dell I answered an ad online through the local newspaper online classifieds.  It took a few weeks for them to call.  By the time they did, I had totally forgotten what the position was I even applied for.  I went down to speak with them in person for a formal interview (this was 9 years ago).

The job was for something called the XPS sales queue.  The XPS brand was being launched as a higher end system and I was to be one of those chosen to help sell them.  My new hire class was the first Dell had done directly and not through a temp agency in quite some time.

Best part of my interview was when they asked me... "If you could be any animal, what would it be and why?"

My response: "Well, it isn't really an animal per se, but I
would be a dragon."

I then elaborated... "A dragon is really this magical thing.  It can be anything it wants to be.  If it wants to fly, it can do that.  If it wants to take human form, it can do that too.  They are extremely intelligent as well."

For whatever reason, this got me the job.

Tomorrow, however, this will be a phone interview.  Even though the building is about 10 minutes from my home, we'll conduct the interview over the phone.  Probably even with someone who doesn't live or work at this call center.

Time have changed when it comes to interviewing for a job, but for certain when I'm asked what sort of animal I'd be again, that answer is simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment